Friday, October 28, 2011

Non Stop Dance Party: Theo L & Friendly Fires Rager

It has been almost 2 years since I walked into Terminal 5.  As soon as I walked in I got a flashback of seeing Passion Pit on stage. Actually to be honest I got a vivid memory of seeing Tragedy the BeeJee's Metal tribute band. I distinctively remember rocking out hard to "Staying Alive" (never thought in my life I'd ever be able to say that).  But anyway, I was beyond excited to see what Theophilus London and Friendly Fires were going to bring.  I imagined an all out dance fest and sure enough, I was right.


I am a novice when it comes to Theophilus London.  If you read my last post you'll know how I learned about him (thanks again Shawn).  I loved his CD Timez are Weird these Days but honestly, with me it is all about how someone brings it on the stage.  Let me tell you, this dude murdered it.  And I do not think many acts could have followed his, Friendly Fires was one of the few, for sure.  Theo's style is like none other.  He does what he wants and how he wants, no matter what.  He is 100% a trendsetter and would never dare to follow any other. For instance, Cole Haan has designed shoes for him, yes for real (Blue Suede Bucks). 



On Wednesday night he rocked a denim ensemble with a gold tank underneath.  Oh and his shoes, light up Jordan's, no big! Theo started with my favorite track off of the album, "Why Even Try."  This song features Sara Quin from Tegan & Sara.  Unfortunately she was not there but Theo kept up the vibe.  He rocked the hell out of his album.  My other favorites of the night were: "Wine and Chocolates", "Girls Girls $", "Love is Real" and "I Stand Alone".  A great song not on the album is "Flying Overseas".  Something about it makes you feel as if you are on an exotic island dancing barefoot on the beach.  That is actually exactly what the video looks like too.  A part of me wishes this song came out in 1999 when I was in France so I could have walked around with my portable CD player, creating my own soundtrack.  With all that, the greatest part of the night was "Big Spender", yes he samples Peggy Lee (she's not the original singer but that's the one that you and I know).  At first when I heard it I was into it because I used to do musical theater as a child, so I do not fear showtunes.  His band began putting their instruments down and walking up front.  His entourage began walking on stage.  It was then I knew something was about to go down, basement (that one was for Rachael).  Once the chorus of the song was over, the beat dropped and shit got live.  This song is Foss (thanks Bob Fosse).  It's thug, sexy, and endearing.  Please check it out, you'll love it, Big Spender.  All in all an A+ performance.



Now I have been a Friendly Fires fan since 2009.  I have loved Ed Macfarlane since I saw him dance like a wild man in the "Kiss of Life" video. There was something so soothingly erotic about his bodily thrusts.  When I saw that video I immediately downloaded their self-titled LP.  I thought "Kiss of Life" was my song until I heard "Lovesick"! OH BOY! That was definitely a song that I listened to on repeat for at least an hour. This song brought me back to the 70s, and I wasn't even born yet.  All I wanted to do was throw on a silver sequins dress and boogie; no, seriously!  If you do not believe me, go listen to that song right now (FF YouTube Lovesick) and let me know if you want to meet me at Studio54 tonight!



After Theo I met up with my friend Kate and a few of her friends.  They had all seen FF before and were pumped while we waited.  Her friend Jen had this excitement that was addicting, so much so I knew this concert was going to be out of this world.  I nearly passed out when they started with "Lovesick".  The two performers I came to see both starting with my favorite songs; it was like an iTunes Genius Concert.  Friendly Fires blew my mind right away.  Ed was insane.  The way he moved was better than I could have ever imagined.  Within the first 5 minutes of the show he was crowd surfing.  It was unreal. The lighting was perfect; and at times he blended in with the lights so well that it looked like they were one.  I will not lie I do not know their second album Pala like I should.  But their new songs were pretty dope.  They kept my body moving and to me that is success.  Great songs they played from Friendly Fires included "Paris", "Jump in the Pool" and "Skeleton Boy".  I think "Skeleton Boy" was definitely my favorite of the night, UNTIL their last song.  The last song they played was "Kiss of Life".  I was ecstatic.  My first fave was played first and my second fave was played last.  I was in Concert Heaven.  They played "Kiss of Life" for about ten minutes.  When I tell you they rocked it out, they did just that.  I haven't seen a great ending to a show probably since I saw The Killers in Summer 2009 at The Nikon Theater in Jones Beach. 


I ended my night at Le Bain with my boy Shawn and his boys (see last posts for deats and check out The Cosmos).  Theo was doing a dj set at his own after party and my curiosity about that led me to the West Village.  It was definitely an exclusive event and I felt so honored that I got invited to go.  Theo did it on the 1s&2s and played everything from a remix of Lykke Li's "I Follow Rivers" to Juvenille's "Back that A** Up".  It was a great time and lots of fun had.  I will not lie, I only had one drink there and I treated myself to a glass of Moet.  Let me tell you, not only did it add to the ambiance but it was definitely well worth it and the perfect night cap.


A Favorite: "I Want You" -Marvin Gaye
Today's Mood: "I Do It" -Big Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment