Friday, January 14, 2011

Why?

I guess I'm a little late on the Blog Bandwagon.  My best friend MK suggested that I start to write about my musical findings. It only makes sense I spent most of my time with my friends ranting and raving about some new song that I discovered.  MK and I actually share the same undying love/infatuation/obsession with music.  Music is for me what a great romance is for most people. It is love at first sight and endless love all wrapped up in one. A great song can make me cry, laugh, smile and genuinely reach that level of contentment that most people search for their entire life.

This industry is where I plan on spending the rest of my life. I just graduated in December with my Masters in Sports and Entertainment Management.  And unlike most in my area of study, fame and fortune are not what drives me into this lavished lifestyle.  It is the possibility of getting someone's music heard and loved the same way that I do.  I don't want to be some music exec suit. That's not the life that I want and it is not in my path.  Music is not a gimmick and it is not a tool to make money.  Money is an end goal, especially for the struggling artist, and I absolutely respect that.  However, a true musician sings or plays, not to be heard and adored, but because they cannot live a day without a new melody generating in their head.  As someone who will one day work for one of these artists, it is my job to get them heard and adored.

I've been to many concerts. I've seen Incubus, Kings of Leon, TI, Lil Wayne, Jay Z and many others.  All artists I love and respect as truly talented and gifted individuals.  I plan on going to many more and sharing all of my experiences with you.  At concerts I often forget I'm in a crowded stadium because I go all in.  If you haven't been to a concert GO! Even go to a live show at a local club or bar.  There is nothing like a live show and the feeling that a voice, drum set or bass can give you up close and personal.

Musical Food for thought: I hope you listen to every piece of musical life advice because if there is anything I know, music is it.  I heard Sleepy Head a year and a half before I went to see Passion Pit at one of their first shows.  Last year I was blasting Quiet in My Town and Perfect Stranger by Civil Twilight and now they are background music in the Big Love promo on HBO and all over the radio.  So listen to me when I tell you to listen to a song because I know.  We may not agree on every song all the time but I can give you a 99% guarantee.

A favorite: Electric Feel MGMT
Today's Mood: Change your Mind The Killers

No comments:

Post a Comment